Saturday 2017

The formula II National Series headed to the GMP Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night and at times the racing was pretty frantic with the bumpers being used to good effect. However white grader Craig Reid got caught up with David Polley on the back straight and sent him spinning whilst Gordon Moodie was spun going onto the straight made a good recovery only to be dumped into the wall later on.

In the ORCi stock rods Cameron Doak and Jim Pitcaithly are fighting for the National Points and it didn’t turn out to be too good a night for either. Doak retired in both of the heats without scoring a point but then clawed some back in the final when Pitcaithly and Tam Tweedie tangled resulting in Pitcaithly’s car suffering a bit of damage!
The prostox drivers were in good form and as a result there was plenty of contact in their races.

We were also treated to an engagement when stock rod driver Chris Paul got down on bended knee and proposed to his girl friend Zoë Barclay on the main straight. The lady said “yes”

Saloon driver Shane Kennedy was sent crashing into the pit bend wall and rolled his car which ended up facing the oncoming traffic and was collected by a few cars before the race was suspended and a shaken driver had to be assisted out of the car The new Scottish Champion Kyle Irvine appeared with the Saltire on his roof whilst Daniel Scrimgeour was having a run in a saloon.

Most of the drivers participating in the National formula II series were at the Racewall with Ron Mitchell going into the meeting with a 2 point advantage over David Polley with Gordon Moodie and Andrew Palmer a further 8 points behind. In the practice session Moodie was the quickest from Luke Wrench. The first heat saw disaster for Paul Reid who blew his engine on the opening lap but then Colin Stewart clipped the wall and retired with Alex Gault stopping right behind him but then there was a shunt on the back straight and amongst those involved was Euan Millar who had to retire. Gary Wrench had led over the first quarter of the race but then was caught and passed by a flying Moodie who went through to win from Robbie Dawson and Luke Wrench. Heat two saw G. Wrench again take the lead but this time it was John Hogg who was on song and once he hit the front went on to win from Moodie and L. Wrench.

Most of the drivers were back out for the final although Dan Fallows was out with a mechanical problem. Moodie made a cracking start to the race making up a place within a few car lengths when the race started but within a couple of laps had lost his advantage when he was clipped and spun going onto the back straight. G. Wrench was the leader from Craig Reid but it was Dawson who was making up ground on the leaders. Moodie had quickly recovered and he was catching the cars ahead quickly and was soon back in the top ten. Dawson hit the front but Moodie’s race came to an end when he was sent wide, clipped the wall and had to retire. Andrew Palmer was another who retired with Ben Lockwood moving into second but had Millar closing the gap. Lockwood then got delayed behind a back marker which allowed Millar into second with L. Wrench third. Then C. Reid and Polley tangled resulting in both cars spinning but whilst Reid was out Polley was able to restart. Dawson went on untroubled to win the final from Millar and L. Wrench. Moodie went on to win the Grand National from Millar and Polley with Dawson ending up in seventh place. The points standing, by my calculations, at the end of the night make Moodie and Polley equal on points and some 7 clear of Mitchell.

There was a good turn out of saloons with Daniel Scrimgeour having a run in the hire car, Graeme Shevill was back whilst there were three cars down from Crimond. The opening race of the night was the final of the white/ yellow challenge series and whilst Euan Mathieson led for a good part of the race he was caught and passed by James Letford during the closing stages. Letford managed to open up a gap over Mathieson before going through to win with Robin Copland in third.

The first heat was stopped after Mathieson was spun going into the turnstile bend and collected by Eck Cunningham. Tam Rutherford Jnr led on the restart but when Kennedy was sent crashing into the wall and rolled his car was then hit by a couple of cars who couldn’t avoid him. Ian McLaughlin led on the restart but on the penultimate lap Luke Grief dived inside to win from McLaughlin and Graeme Anderson. Heat two was a bit quieter with Grief picking up his second win of the night when he led home McLaughlin and Ross Watters.
Alan Ainslie led the field away when the final started with Irvine being spun on the top bend although he restarted at the tail of the field. Grief was making short work of those ahead and went into the lead before the half distance. Once there he edged away before going through to win from Anderson and Paul Honeyman.

There was another decent turn out of ORCi stock rods including the World Champion Stephen McCready, Raymond Harper and Levi Robinson. The opening heat saw Jim Pitcaithly having to take to the outside line to get around Harper to take the lead and then on to win from McCready and Stuart Wedderburn. Pitcaithly made it two in a row when he went through to win heat two from McCready and Harper. At the start to the final Pitcaithly and Tweedie tangled resulting in both cars retiring. After that Martin Rankin held off the attentions of McCready for a few laps but then lost out as McCready went through to win the Jane Burt Memorial trophy. Rankin held on to second place with Cameron Doak managing to bring his car home in third spot.

Formula II driver Marc Fortune was having a run in a prostox but didn’t have too much luck and failed to start heat two. Heat one was won by Ian Christie who was ahead of Jason McAlpine and Craig Murray at the close. Murray then went on to win the second heat from Kris Douglas and John Mason. Douglas and Murray scrapped over the lead for most of the final and whilst both got sideways as they exited the pit bend, Douglas went through to win from Tam Melrose and Robert Hamilton.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 7 854 560 359 101 38 581 92 618 606
Heat 2 92 7 560 101 38 629 854 905 618 184
Final 854 629 560 101 905 359 184 488 38 618
GN 7 629 38 560 184 618 854 905 488 217

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
W&Y Final 73 125 241 777 579 0 0 0 0 0
Heat 1 219 684 229 73 85 670 507 241 777 42
Heat 2 219 684 670 73 85 777 507 241 125 579
Final 219 229 507 73 684 241 301 777 85 670


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 170 672 605 760 31 46 39 710 518 53
Heat 2 605 33 760 46 672 53 31 16 38 0
Final 33 55 39 31 672 46 605 16 122 0

Stock Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 91 17 351 57 916 644 197 257 794 0
Heat 2 91 17 57 351 644 794 257 71 0 0
Final 17 644 216 794 197 68 71 0 0 0