Saturday 2018

It turned out to be one of the best stock car meetings so far at The Racewall Cowdenbeath on a bright Saturday evening with the drivers in top form. The Ministox drivers stole the show with some exhilarating driving and whilst their racing was close and fast the drivers weren’t shy at using their bumpers. Logan Bruce rolled his car during the opening heat whilst Gemma Robbins had a spectacular rollover during the final. However it turned out to be a bad night for the Borthwick’s with Hannah and Ryan having to be helped out of their cars in the heats whilst Taylor was sent crashing out of the final in her car.

It was also a night of doubles with Declan Honeyman winning two Ministox heats and whilst he won the final he was penalised for a jumped start and was dropped to fourth place. Heat and final wins went to Formula II driver Gregor Turner, 2 Litre National Saloon driver Barry Russell and National Hot Rod driver Ross McWilliam.

Jamie Dawson celebrated his last race in his Micro F2 with an exciting win when he managed to nip through on the inside to pip Todd Anderson on the run up to the flag. Ben McLellan had a hairy moment in his car when he spun going onto the main straight and almost rolled his car between the marker tyres. Eddy Anderson was making his debut in the Micro F2s and after a few tentative laps was going well.

There was the biggest turn out of Formula II cars this season with Matt Stoneman up from the South West whilst Albert Smith was down from the North East. The new gradings had seen quite a few changes with Steven Burgoyne up to the red grade whilst John Hogg was racing from Superstar.

The opening heat was led for most of the time by Gregor Turner but during the closing laps he was edged wide and Euan Millar went through to win from Chris Burgoyne and Craig Wallace. Turner then led heat two for most of the time where he led home Garry Sime and Liam Rennie.

When the final started Willie Lindsay was the initial leader but next time around Turner was through into the lead with Sime soon into second spot. At the back C. Burgoyne had got ahead of Craig Wallace and was closing in on the red grade drivers. Ian Thompson moved through into third after sending Rennie wide whilst C. Burgoyne had got ahead of Steven Burgoyne and Millar. Colin Forbes was tee boned on the top bend by Thompson as he got out of shape thus suspending the race. Turner’s lead had disappeared but when the race restarted he made a good restart and quickly opened up a lead over Sime. C. Burgoyne was in third and caught and passed Sime with three laps remaining but just couldn’t close the gap to Turner who went through to win with Wallace grabbing third from Sime on the last lap.

Sime made short work of getting through into the lead when the Grand National started to win from Wallace and Stevie Forster.

There was another good turn out of 2 Litre National Saloons and here again there were a few grade changes which had seen Jason Secker and Marc Honeyman move to the red grade, Tam Rutherford Jnr was up to the blue grade whilst Holly Glen and Neil Linden had moved from white to yellow. The opening heat was suspended within a couple of laps after Ross Watters was sent crashing heavily into the pit bend wall. Euan Mathieson led the field away but he was caught by Barry Russell who went on to win from Luke Grief and Aaryn Triggs. In heat two Mathieson led until the closing stages of the race when Grief caught and passed him. Once there he went on to win from Russell with Mathieson having to settle for third.

Mathieson got the final underway from Raymond Dick but Russell, who had made a good start, was soon through into the lead. Once there he pulled away for a comfortable win over Grief and Willie Mitchell.

The Ministox drivers were contesting a round in the Keir Millar Memorial qualifying round which brought Abbie McGuinness as well as Gemma and Owen Robbins to the track. The drivers were in tremendous form, at times running in groups with the positions changing on a regular basis.

Bruce got caught up in the action in heat one and rolled with a H. Borthwick getting caught up in a shunt and needed help out of her car. On the restart O. Robbins moved into the lead but within a couple of laps had to give best to Declan Honeyman who went on to win from Gary Paterson and Michael Mitchell. In heat two there was an early stoppage to assist Lauren Ford out of her car and then a few laps later Ryan Borthwick out of his. Honeyman had by this time moved through into the lead and he went on to win from G. Robbins and Mitchell.

The final was a cracking race and had everything you could ask for. There were a couple of stoppages before G. Robbins was shunted wide and was collected by Luke McCallum and ended up rolling her car. Once the track was clear Mitch Gold led the field away but he lost out to Honeyman. However soon afterwards the race was suspended again after Scott Allardyce was facing the oncoming traffic. Honeyman led the field away but struggled to shake off Gold and McGuinness and they ended crossing the finish line in that order. However there was further drama when Honeyman was penalised by the Steward with Gold being declared the winner from McGuinness and Bruce.

The National Hot Rod races were as usual fast with some close dicing in their races.

Ian Donaldson went on to win the opening heat from Garry Ingram and Steven Armit. In heat two Ross McWilliam led the race from start to finish picking up his first ever hot rod win crossing the line ahead of Donaldson and Ingram.

McWilliam then led the final from start to finish to win the Dechmont Forklift Truck sponsored final from Roy Anderson and Ian McGuigan.

The Micro F2 drivers again turned up in their numbers and produced some exciting racing. The opening heat saw Freya Lovett go through to win from Todd Anderson and Jamie Dawson. In heat two Kyle Rogerson came out on top and he held off the attentions of Dawson and Rhys Anderson to the chequer.

Their third heat had a classic ending when T. Anderson with Dawson on his back bumper encountered slower cars on the turnstile bend on the last lap. Anderson went to the outside and Dawson to the inside and it was the latter who came out ahead and on to win with Rogerson in third place.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 629 647 16 480 127 652 391 854 674 92
Heat 2 391 480 3 629 901 647 674 16 854 852
FInal 391 647 16 674 480 854 652 127 794 92
GN 480 16 652 647 854 127 629 794 92 203

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 600 219 620 125 507 684 38 529 207 8
Heat 2 219 600 125 670 620 507 96 301 207 529
Final 600 219 96 125 670 620 507 38 684 107


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 607 622 172 126 178 917 629 621 199 188
Heat 2 607 917 172 126 199 622 178 514 627 687
Final 199 514 601 607 188 650 641 682 0 0

National Hot Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 700 335 94 77 330 36 0 0 0 0
Heat 2 330 700 335 94 36 77 0 0 0 0
Final 330 36 77 335 94 0 0 0 0 0