Saturday 2018

It was a beautiful warm and sunny evening at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night and whilst the spectators basked in the sunshine the drivers were in top form on a dry fast track.

Lee McGill proved to be the driver to beat in the ORCi Stock Rods with two wins and a runners up spot but his efforts were bettered by Ministox driver Lewis Clark Burgoyne who won all three of his races. Dougie Ford won both the heats in the Prostock basics which saw James Kyle raising money in the Charity Hire car for Diabetic Scotland.

There were three different winners in the 1300Saloons where the racing proved to be very close with Lee Wilson bring out the ex-Colin Wotherspoon car and was soon challenging for top places.

However the action came during the Micro F2 races with shunts, spins and some really close and exciting racing with Rhys Anderson involved in not one but two shunts!

Amongst those in action in the ORCi Stock Rods were the World Champion Stephen McCready, Kurtis Reid and Andrew Morrow from Northern Ireland, Gareth Chapman and Chris Chance from South of the Border. Russell Clacher was back in action, Justin Lithgow was in Dean McGill’s car and all in all it turned out to be stock rod racing at its best.

Lithgow led the first heat until the half distance before Lee McGill took over and he went through to win from Derek Conner and McCready. Lithgow led the field away when heat two started but retired after bouncing his car off the wall. This handed the lead to James Matson who soon had a useful lead only for the race to be suspended after Rob Conway and James Gray locked up and crashed into the turnstile bend wall. On the restart Matson had McGill in close order but held on to record a narrow victory over McGill and McCready.

The final saw some really close and exciting dicing with the Jane Burt memorial trophy the drivers goal. Lithgow’s car stalled at the start causing a restart which Chris Paul led from Mark Blackie but Stuart McKinnon had made a quick start from the blue grade and was quickly closing the leaders down. However when Paul Prentice, Chance and Clacher tangled on the back straight the race was suspended. Paul led the cars away but next time around McKinnon was leading only for another suspension with debris on the track. McKinnon led the field away but lost out to McGill who shook off the attentions of Conner to win with Matson third. McGill received his trophy plus the Jane Burt memorial trophy and a tyre for winning with Clacher receiving a tyre for being the first of the lower grade driver home.

There was another healthy turn out of 1300 Saloon drivers with Derek Russell out in the Bruce car whilst saloon driver Ross Forrest was in the hire car.

Alan Robertson led the cars away but was soon caught by Michael Byers. James Ellis was making up ground and during the closing stages took the lead. However on the run up to the finish line he had to fend off a late challenge from Grant McGowan to win with Byers in third. Robertson again led the cars away when heat two started with Fraser Clark quickly making up ground and appeared in second. Lisa Freebairn and Forrest spun but restarted only for the race to be suspended after Stu McCaig was edged into the wall. Robertson soon lost the lead when the race restarted to Clark although the latter now had McGowan chasing. The lead changed hands a couple of times with Wilson making it a three car dice for the win. Clark got back into the lead and then just held on to win from Wilson and McGowan.

Robertson led the cars away when the final started with Byers moving into second spot but had Clark and Aaron Hastie in close order. Try as they might they just couldn’t catch Robertson who went on to win from Clark and Byers.

Another big field of Prostock Basic cars with Kieran Edgar, Kyle, Stephen Graham and Robert Ryan making their debuts. The Basics are certainly enticing new faces into the sport with a few moving up to the senior formula.

Ryan led the first heat for a few laps until John Rankin took over. However after a race suspension Rankin was to close out as Dougie Ford went through to win with Ben Sher in third. In heat two there were a few leaders before B. Sher took over although he was to lose out to Bob Grant. Grant was caught on the penultimate lap as Ford went through to pick up his second win of the night. B. Sher held onto second with Craig Warner ending up in third.

Grant and Steve Jones clashed right at the start to the race with B. Sher quickly taking the lead. Callum Sturrock retired against a marker tyre. Ford was beginning to make inroads through the field as Grant and Jones again tangled. However when Nicole Russell spun on the back straight the race was brought to a premature end. Although Ford had just taken the lead the result from the previous lap stood with Sher the winner from Ford and Warner.

There weren’t too many Ministox drivers in action but their races were dominated by Lewis Clark Burgoyne who won all three races at a canter.

In heat one he won from Michael Mitchell and Brandon Morton. Heat two followed almost the same pattern with Burgoyne ahead within a couple of laps and was then ran away with the race to win from Declan Honeyman and Mitchell. Morton was the early leader when the final started but within a couple of laps Burgoyne was ahead and pulling away from the field. In the end he won by the length of the straight from Mitchell and Honeyman.

Again the Micro F2 drivers turned up in big numbers with quite a few visiting drivers. David Philp Jnr was the early opening heat leader but when four cars tangled and crashed on the pit bend the race was suspended. Philp Jnr led on the restart but lost out to Lewis Walker who won from Philp Jnr and Alfie Smith. In heat two Philp Jnr was the first to show but a two cars shunt brought the race into suspension. However C. Walker again capitalised and he went through to win from A. Smith and Oliver Smith.

Heat three saw Philp Jnr make an early break and was soon running well clear of the field. His lead disappeared after A. Smith crashed into the wall. Philp led but was to be joined by Freya Lovett, Ross McLaughlin and Todd Anderson in a four way dice for the lead. Lovett forged ahead with the cars bunched as they exited the pit bend for the last time. McLaughlin dived down the inside but tangled with Lovett and in a flash Anderson went through to win from Philp Jnr and Callan Walker.

Well that is the Racewall quiet until 28 July but there are plenty of major races south of the Border until then with a few titles up for grabs.


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 647 172 603 629 604 688 612 648 0 0
Heat 2 647 607 172 603 629 604 688 0 0 0
Final 647 172 607 612 604 688 603 0 0 0

Stock Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 363 172 17 24 268 644 338 924 854 63
Heat 2 24 363 17 338 216 41 854 268 924 76
Final 363 172 24 268 644 216 338 76 240 374

1300 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 314 211 41 668 73 537 246 19 66 642
Heat 2 668 246 211 537 19 73 817 60 400 642
Final 19 668 41 73 211 314 246 537 153 400

Prostock Basics

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 688 165 717 765 240 357 410 7 488 36
Heat 2 688 717 357 240 165 223 164 26 999 0
Final 717 688 357 56 765 488 223 240 7 0