Saturday 2018

“Did I win” was the comment from Ian McLaughlin after one of the most exciting finishes to a Scottish Championship for quite some time. Unfortunately in the last bend challenge Ian was knocked out with his car coming to rest against the wall at the end of the straight. After being presented with his trophy Ian was checked over at the hospital where it was found out he had a broken collar bone, a bone in his shoulder and two broken ribs!

It certainly was a dramatic finish to a race but spare a thought for Ross Watters who twice had built up a useful lead only to see it disappear after incidents which brought out the yellow flags.

Connor St Aubyn was caught up in a last lap incident in his Micro F2 and rolled whilst in second spot and there were plenty of other incidents in their races. It was a similar story in the Prostock Basics races with numerous shunts and spins which left some cars looking sorry for themselves.

Chris Burgoyne dominated the Formula II racing winning both the heats and then the final to set himself up for Sunday’s World Championship Semi-Final at Barford.

The 2 Litre National Saloon Scottish Championship was the feature race of the night with the drivers drawing their grid position at the drivers briefing. The front row paired Barry Russell on pole with Holly Glen alongside, Paul Honeyman and Watters were on row two behind whilst McLaughlin on the outside of row 6. As the tension began to grow the cars started their slow warm up lap and then they were away with Glen making a fast start to go straight into the lead. Russell was next to appear with Watters on his back bumper. Jamie Reid spun as did Aaryn Triggs. Watters shoved Russell wide to take the lead with Russell immediately coming under pressure from Paul Honeyman and when they drifted wide Euan Mathieson dived inside to move into second. Watters was easing away whilst Jason Secker lost ground when he was eased wide and clipped the wall. Watters was moving away from the pack and soon had a commanding lead. Mathieson was caught by McLaughlin and then the following lap by Graeme Shevill, dropping to fifth. However when Mathieson was clipped he hit the wall and the car slowed stopping half way down the straight. The race was suspended to allow his car to be moved with the field lining up behind Watters who had a couple of back markers between him and McLaughlin.

Watters made most of the situation when the race restarted with McLaughlin running with Shevill and Luke Grief in close order. However much to Watters dismay Ross Forrest’s car slowed and stopped bring about another race suspension.

With the atmosphere electric Watters made another good restart and was shown the 4 lap to go board as he crossed the line. McLaughlin began to catch him and going into the turnstile bend dived inside Watters with Greg Honeyman spinning. The dice for the lead was getting more intense with the defending champion Kyle Irvine catching the leading group, Shevill moved into second relegating Watters to third and as they started the last lap it was anyone’s race. As the cars started the last lap Shevill got alongside and was ahead as they entered the turnstile bend but as they charged down the back straight McLaughlin, who was on the inside, moved to the front. McLaughlin was ahead on the back straight but Watters made a big lunge going into the pit bend for the last time with spectacular results. Watters clipped McLaughlin and as he did so he got alongside Shevill who crashed and rode the wall and all but rolled. McLaughlin bounced hard into the wall but carried on whilst Grief was collected by Shevill and spun as did Watters. McLaughlin used the wall and just got to the finish line a fraction before Irvine who somehow missed the spinning cars with Secker claiming third after having been sixth going into the last bend.

Unfortunately McLaughlin’s recollection was a bit hazy about what was going on but he celebrated his win with his family before heading to hospital for a check up.

The first heat saw Marc Honeyman go through to win from Triggs and Secker. The second heat saw M. Honeyman and Tam Rutherford Jnr fall out with Graeme Anderson taking his recently acquired car to a win where he led home P. Honeyman and Secker.

With the Formula II semi-finals being staged the following day at Barford there was a smaller than usual turn out of cars. Whilst Chris Burgoyne had a good meeting Adam Blacklock, a semi-finalist, blew an engine in practice and his spare was plagued by a misfire throughout the meeting.

Burgoyne went through to win the opening heat from Euan Millar and Robbie Dawson. Whilst heat two was again dominated by Burgoyne he had Millar snapping at his heels whilst long time leader Daniel Scrimgeour had to settle for third spot.

Blair Anderson led the final until around the half distance when Scrimgeour moved into the lead. However he couldn’t fend off Burgoyne who went through to make it three wins on the trot from Millar and Dawson.

Millar then won the Grand National from Dawson and Paul Reid.

The Ministox drivers were in good form as usual. Declan Honeyman drove through to win the Track Shop Shield from Sean Naismith and Logan Bruce. The first heat saw Michael Mitchell take the win from Barry Scott and Naismith. Scott Allardyce then came out on top in heat two where he led home Mitchell and Naismith.

There was another good turn out of the Prostock Basic cars. Kieran Edgar won the opening heat from Dougie Ford and Ryan Burden. Craig Warner and Connor Jones tangled on the turnstile bend before Ford then came out on top from Callum Sturrock and Jordan Dignan. Ford ended up winning the final from. Dignan and Sturrock but a five car shunt on the last lap eliminated a few of the front runners.

The Micro F2 drivers turned up in their numbers and served up three action packed races.

In the opening heat Todd Anderson went through to win from Kyle Rogerson and Alfie Key but on the last lap Connor St. Aubyn managed to roll his car whilst sitting in second place. Kara Russell pipped St. Aubyn for the win on the line with Callan Walker third. Ross McLaughlin then won heat three where he led home Russell and Freya Lovett.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 647 629 854 236 850 17 92 217 192 626
Heat 2 647 629 236 854 480 17 92 217 192 0
Final 647 629 854 236 480 17 92 850 217 626
GN 629 854 17 480 236 217 626 0 0 0

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
SC 684 85 529 207 507 661 38 241 96 670
Heat 1 107 620 529 640 85 229 207 507 224 670
Heat 2 229 507 529 670 620 670 96 107 241 680


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Final 607 100 601 172 627 178 50 122 603 688
Heat 1 172 627 100 50 629 603 174 601 688 0
Heat 2 178 172 100 612 629 627 122 50 647 601

Prostock Basics

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 488 688 36 639 56 357 7 99 194 999
Heat 2 688 410 640 285 36 7 246 66 0 0
Final 688 640 410 285 357 56 36 99 7 700