Saturday 2018

There was no shortage of high speed action at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on a dry and sunny Saturday evening and as a result there were a few shunts and spills to keep the fans happy.

Chris Thomson was involved in a shunt in the bangers which resulted in his car being left perched on one of the marker tyres whilst in the Destruction Derby there were a few cars left in a very sorry state.

Bart Smeets and Steven Fawcett were welcome visitors in their Formula IIs with Chris Burgoyne, Craig Wallace and Liam Rennie, who have qualified for the World Final were amongst those in action.

In the 2 Litre Saloons Graeme Shevill picked up two wins, one when Graeme Anderson was penalised for too good a start although the latter did win heat two. James Letford brought out his new car which looks good and he managed to bring his car home in the top bend in heat two.

Paul Barron picked up two wins in the Prostocks but struggled in the second when Ian Christie won.

There were 20 BriSCA Formula II drivers in action with Kieran Howie having his first outing of the season and the racing was a good advert for tarmac racing.

Heat one was stopped after Howie and Steven Burgoyne tangled on the pit bend and were left stranded. On the restart Gregor Turner quickly took the lead and was still clear of the pack when the flag dropped with Ian Thompson in second and Chris Burgoyne in third. Heat two was led off by Craig Reid but he was to lose out to his brother Paul. However Turner emerged as the leader whilst behind Thompson, C. Burgoyne and Millar were running nose to tail. In the end Turner picked up his second win of the night where he again led home Thompson and C. Burgoyne.

The final had an explosive start with Fawcett hitting the pit bend wall and collected Daniel Scrimgeour and Turner. On the restart P. Reid was the leader but next time around Garry Sime was leading although he soon had Thompson, Steven Burgoyne and Millar in close order. Millar got ahead of Thompson and S. Burgoyne and then began to close in on Sime. On lap thirteen Millar took the lead but Sime was to have his spring rub against his tyre and pulled out. Millar eased away from the pack to win from S. Burgoyne and Thompson to win the Chapman trophy.

C. Burgoyne went on to win the Grand National from Craig Wallace and S. Burgoyne with Millar in eighth place.

There was a healthy field of 2 Litre National Saloons at the track with last week’s Scottish Champion Ian McLaughlin an interested spectator.

The opening heat saw Graeme Anderson go charging into the lead and he was still ahead at the end of the race. However he was adjudged to have made too good a start and was penalised handing the win to Graeme Shevill with Ross Watters in second and the penalised Anderson in third place. Heat two was led off by Raymond Dick but on lap six Anderson was the new leader but towards the end of the race there was a race stoppage. The Mathieson brothers made contact with each other going down the main straight with both retiring. On the restart Anderson eased away from Cunningham to win but Watters just got ahead of Cunningham to steal second spot.

Although Dick led the cars away it was Ross Forrest how was the leader at the end of the lap and he began to pull away from the field. Anderson moved into second but then dropped down the order as the pack caught up with him. Shevill was making up ground fast and when he moved into second place as the laps dwindled so too did the gap between the leading cars. Shevill moved into the lead on the last lap but Forrest was forced wide, hit the wall and retired. Shevill went on to record an easy win over Paul Honeyman and Watters.

Amongst the ORCi Stock Rod drivers in action were Liam McGill and Stewart Paterson who was returning after a few years away. The racing was close, plenty of swapping places but very little contact.

The first heat was the Gordon Ross Shield with the drivers drawing their grid positions at the drivers meeting.

James Gray was on pole with David Dignan alongside and it was Gray who took the lead from Dignan with Stuart Wedderburn in third. However Mark Blackie was to make contact with the wall and retired with his car emitting smoke which suspended the race. Gray now had Michael Bethune in second with James Matson third and they continued to dice right to the very end. Cameron Doak moved ahead of Leon Stewart with McGill making up ground from his back of the grid start. Paterson and Dignan bounced off each other but up front the dice for the lead was in full swing. A gap would appear then close but in the end Gray was to win from Bethune and Matson with lower grade drivers McGill and Dignan also picking up goodies.

McGill led in heat one but then retired handing the lead to Dignan who then proceeded to maintain a gap and then going on to win from Matson and Martin Rankine.

The last Stock Rod race of the night was for the Turner trophy and again there was plenty of close and fast racing although not for the lead. McGill made the better of the start and simply drove away from the field to record an easy win over Dignan and Rankine.

The Prostock racing was dominated by Paul Barron although he lost out on a hat trick when he had to settle for the runners up spot in heat two.

Barron won the opening heat from Ian Christie and John Mason. In heat two Christie forced him wide and then carved his way through the field to win from Barron and John Taylor.

The final saw Barron quickly force his way through the field and into the lead before going on to an easy win over Christie and Mason.

The 2 Litre Banger drivers were in good form with numerous shunts and spins.

Callum Campbell went on to win the opening heat from Jon Taylor and Lee Kopacz. However in heat two Kopacz was running ahead of Campbell when the two cars ahead of him spun and whilst he got caught up managed to keep going to win from Danny McMullan and Sean McConnachie.

Campbell went on to win the final from McConnachie and Brian Youngson whilst Taylor smashed his way to a Destruction Derby win.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 391 901 647 629 16 3 480 17 236 92
Heat 2 391 901 647 629 17 16 3 852 236 419
Final 629 674 901 16 480 852 652 3 17 92
GN 647 16 674 652 852 391 17 629 92 236

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 661 670 229 219 507 96 38 224 45 241
Heat 2 229 670 45 219 507 661 96 38 73 241
Final 661 507 670 219 125 229 96 38 301 42

National Bangers

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 159 274 133 83 226 883 99 0 0 0
Heat 2 133 27 180 274 609 0 0 0 0 0
Final 159 180 226 133 27 99 0 0 0 0
DD 274 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 755 170 760 31 122 579 589 167 0 0
Heat 2 170 755 31 122 579 717 760 167 589 0
Final 755 170 760 122 31 16 579 589 167 0

Stock Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Final 197 83 24 216 612 62 240 644 46 0
Heat 1 240 24 644 351 83 257 197 216 123 612
Heat 2 62 240 644 216 612 83 197 351 123 257