Saturday 2018

It turned a bit chilly at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night but more importantly it was dry which meant that the racing was fast and as a result there were numerous spills and thrills.

There was almost double delight for the Scottish drivers with Paul Barron winning the Prostock World Cup but a spot of team racing saw Scott Paterson robbed of the Unlimited Banger Scottish Championship on the last lap. Nathan Wren sneaked through to win when team mate Dalton Steele held Paterson up.

Chris Burgoyne went on to win the Formula II final whilst Kyle Irvine dominated the 2 Litre National Saloon final to record an easy win.

Ryan Muirhead returned after being sidelined for most of the season whilst Tam Rutherford Snr made his saloon return after many seasons racing National Hot Rods but with the Saloon National Series now underway Ross Watters, Barry Russell and Jason Secker were missing.

There were five visiting drivers from Northern Ireland set on taking the title back home with them although the defending champion Alan Haugh was missing. There was a good turn out of over 20 Scottish drivers..

The drivers were to race in a reverse grid format with the points accrued determining where they were to start the final from.

Not long into the opening heat there was disaster for a few drivers when Steven Gold bailed out of his car which had a small fire under the bonnet but at the turnstile bend six cars had piled in and were sidelined. When the race restarted Dougie Kidd led but after a few laps he lost out to John Taylor. A couple of laps later there was another stoppage but Taylor then led from Ian Christie and Paul Barron but whilst the latter got through into second Taylor held on to win. William McFaul led the cars away when heat two got underway but when Jack Cameron ended up against the turnstile bend the race was suspended. McFaul then led the field away but another suspension a couple of laps later saw the demise of Joe Largey. When the race restarted this time Barron quickly got ahead of McFaul and then went through to win from Dan Shannon and Christie.

When the cars appeared for the World Cup race Barron on pole with Taylor alongside with Shannon and Christie behind. The non qualifiers were to start half a lap down. When the green flag dropped Barron went straight into the lead from Taylor with Shannon tucking in behind whilst McFaul, Christie and John Mason in close order. Willie Hardie was leading the non qualifiers chase whilst John Jackson was spun out. The race was now looking to between the top six. Shannon moved into second spot ahead of Taylor who immediately came under pressure from McFaul. Barron was beginning to pull away and had a useful lead by half distance. A couple of laps after the mid point the race was suspended after Cameron was shunted into the wall.

Barron made a good restart although Shannon was in close order. McFaul and Taylor clashed and in the end Barron went through to win from Shannon and Christie.

The Formula II numbers were down on the normal but it didn’t deter from the racing which was fast with some exciting racing.

The opening heat saw Stevie Forster go through to win from Chris Burgoyne and Euan Millar. In heat two C. Burgoyne made light work of working his way through the field to win from Ian Thompson and Robbie Dawson.

When the final started Pete Davidson led Craig Reid away but by the end of the lap Paul Reid had caught and passed both to lead. Blair Anderson moved into second but Forster was closing in on both. Dawson was running just ahead of C. Burgoyne and Thompson. Forster slowed and retired as Dawson and C. Burgoyne came up to the leader. C. Burgoyne managed to get onto the outside line to move into the lead with Dawson being delayed but was soon through into second. There wasn’t much of a gap between the leaders but P. Reid was being caught and began to fall down the order. Thompson was now third but being caught by Millar and whilst the swapped places, Millar retired. In the end C. Burgoyne went through to win from Dawson and Thompson.

Dawson then went on to win the Grand National from Millar and Forster with C. Burgoyne ending up in seventh place from his lap handicap.

Despite losing three drivers to the National Series there was a good turn out of 2 Litre Saloon drivers.

Heat one saw Luke Grief go through to win from Marc Honeyman and long time leader Ross Forrest. However in heat two Forrest led from start to finish to pick up a well deserved win and at the chequer he was ahead of Grief and Irvine.

Raymond Dick spun at the start to the final as Muirhead led but within a couple of laps Forrest was through into the lead. Next time around Irvine was the new leader and quickly built up space between him and Forrest, Grief was running ahead of Paul Honeyman and Shevill. Shevill then moved into fourth then third a lap later. Irvine though was clear and he went through to win from Grief and Shevill but Forrest and P. Honeyman locked bumpers and in flash Aaryn Triggs overtook both. However when the result was declared Grief was dropped from second to fifth with those ahead moving up accordingly.

With the Unlimited Banger World Final not that far off the numbers were disappointing for the Scottish Championship but none the less there was an exciting finish to the big race.

Scott Paterson started from pole and when the race started quickly opened up a gap over the others. Sean McConnachie spun as did Neil Rawsthorn but when Stevie Allan crashed heavily into the pit bend wall the race was suspended. Paterson led the field away on the restart this time from Ross Cumming but he was moved over as Nathan Wren moved into second. Paterson continued to pull away from the field but Steele, who was being lapped, tried to delay the leader. Whilst he did this to a certain extent the leader was soon clear again. On the last lap Steele was again caught by Paterson but this time the leader couldn’t get through, Wren closed and finally managed to get ahead on the run up to the finish line to literally pip Paterson at the post with John Nicholson third.

In the heat which followed Paterson went through to win but the race had been suspended after a five car shunt. In the end Paterson won from Nicholson and Steele. The second heat saw Patterson pick up his second win of the night when he led home Nicholson and Steele.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 652 647 629 901 854 674 16 236 92 850
Heat 2 647 901 854 629 17 236 674 16 92 850
Final 647 854 901 674 16 652 17 236 92 850
GN 854 629 652 674 16 17 647 850 217 203

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 219 107 400 85 207 661 45 9 38 620
Heat 2 400 219 85 661 207 620 507 38 45 648
Final 85 661 620 507 219 400 207 38 45 9

National Bangers

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
SC 366 230 310 466 0 0 0 0 0 0
Heat 1 230 310 466 285 26 125 0 0 0 0
Heat 2 230 310 466 285 125 26 0 0 0 0


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 31 755 170 258 63 760 46 122 45 0
Heat 2 755 258 170 22 31 754 63 76 0 0
WC 755 258 170 145 76 31 83 0 0 0