Saturday 2018

There was significance to the stock car meeting at the Cowdenbeath Racewall with the saloon drivers commemorating the 50th anniversary of the first saloon meeting which was staged some 50 years ago to the date! Kyle Irvine also celebrated - he won all three saloon races!

There were two major races with the 1300 Saloon drivers contesting the first of their Gold Roof Championships whilst the Prostock Basic drivers had their inaugural Scottish Championship to decide. Both races were exciting with Peter Low winning the 1300 Saloon Gold Roof whilst Kieran Edgar won the Scottish title.

Justin Gold will long remember his time in the Prostock Basics he ended up rolling his car on the first lap whilst Bryan Lindsay was to roll his 1300 Saloon on the final lap of the last race.

There was another landmark in the Formula IIs where Ian Thompson chalked up his 100th final win and Euan Millar who was celebrating his 18th birthday

Despite having three of the Formula II drivers down south contesting the National Series there was a good turn-out of drivers at the track which included Craig Driscoll. The first heat was stopped twice on the opening laps and in the end it was won by Gregor Turner who crossed the finish line ahead of Stevie Forster and Thompson. There was a stoppage midway through the second heat after Pete Davidson was in a shunt. Thompson was ahead at the time and he went through to win from Forster and Millar.

After the final was restarted Colin Forbes led over the opening laps before Turner took over. Blair Anderson retired as Forster then Thompson too up the chase after Turner. Thompson was in the lead at the half distance with Turner dropping to third soon afterwards. Despite Millar closing the gap Thompson held on to win from Millar with Turner in third spot.

Steven Burgoyne then rounded off an exciting Formula II meeting when he won the Grand National from Forster and Millar with Thompson in eighth place.

Three of the 2 Litre National Saloon drivers were south of the border contesting their National Series and as such the saloon numbers were slightly lower than anticipated. However it was 50 years since the first saloon meeting was held at Cowdenbeath and the drivers received a memento to mark the occasion.

Although Tam Rutherford Jnr was first home he had upset the steward and was penalised two places which handed the tin to Kyle Irvine who led home Ryan Muirhead with Rutherford Jnr third. Irvine then went through to win heat two where he was ahead of Aaryn Triggs and Rutherford Jnr.

Muirhead led the cars away at the start to the final and whilst Rutherford Jnr chased him early on before he could make a challenge he was caught then passed by Irvine. It only took Irvine a couple of laps to take the lead and once there eased away to win from Triggs and Paul Honeyman.

The 1300 Saloons turned up in their numbers for the final of the Gilmore Engineering sponsored Gold Roof Championship and whilst there were 16 cars on the grid there were a further three cars that hadn’t qualified.

As a result of rounds at Crimond, Barford and the Racewall the drivers had scored points which decided where they would start the final from. Fraser Clark and Lee Wilson were on the front row and they had Aaron Hastie and James Ellis on row two with Dale Burt and Peter Low on row 3.

The cars set off on their parade lap and then amid a burst of sound they blasted away with Clark leading but Low was to appear in second as Ellis spun. Hastie moved into third but Wilson dropped to fifth after a slow start. Bryan Lindsay had made a good start from row seven and was soon making up ground. Wilson soon moved ahead of Dale Burt and than a lap later Hastie as he moved into third but the latter was hanging on to his back bumper and looking for a way to grab the place back. Burt was to come into the clutches of Jeff Cosans but before the latter could do anything Lindsay made it a three way battle. Hastie spun on the main straight and then when things seemed to be settled Lisa Freebairn ended up against the wall suspending the race.

The whole outlook of the race had changed with Clark now having a back marker between him and Low and as the tension began to rise the cars set off with Clark making a good restart but Low was quickly ahead of the back marker. Lindsay was dicing with Burt and Ellis but then high drama as Clarks’ car stuttered and in a flash Low was the new leader. Clark’s car was to come back on song and he set off after Low but by then it was too late and Low went through to win the right to race with a gold roof on his car. Clark ended up in second ahead of Wilson with Lindsay in fourth place.

Sponsor Stephen Gilmore was then given a taste of 1300 Saloon racing when he was put behind the wheel of Burt’s car with Cosans and Hastie giving him a taste of racing.

Dale Robertson and Stuart Wilson joined in the fray but Willie Campbell suffered a mechanical problem with his car and didn’t make it to the track.

Ellis won the first heat sending Low wide on the last bend to win with Clark in third spot. Lindsay brought an exciting night of 1300 Saloon racing when he rolled his car as Clark went through to win from Charlie Folan and Wilson.

There was a good turn-out of cars for the Prostock Basics inaugural Scottish Championship. The drivers drew their grid places out of a hat which paired Harry Adams and Megan Wilson on the front row with Dougie Anderson and Neil Gilogley on row 2.

Adams went straight into the lead when the race started but Gold brought the race into suspension when he rolled his car after tangling with another. Adams then led on the restart but Kieran Edgar burst through the front runners to move into the lead. One of the prerace favourites Dougie Ford was sent spinning. Gilogley moved into second with Stephen Graham in third. However the race was brought into suspension after Jordan Dignan was spun with his car coming to rest facing the oncoming traffic. Edgar led the field away with Gilogley clear of Graham but Craig Warner was on the move but Callum Sturrock slowed and retired.

Edgar was by now well clear of the field and he went on to win the Scottish Championship from Gilogley and Graham.

In the heats which then followed Graham went through to win from David Izatt and Ryan Burden. The second heat saw Ford go through to win and he led home Warner and Joanne Hilditch.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 391 652 901 419 236 764 674 251 850 679
Heat 2 901 852 629 674 16 251 236 419 794 92
Final 901 629 391 16 236 794 251 0 0 0
GN 674 652 629 391 850 679 236 901 794 16

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 85 648 5 620 45 73 507 38 241 8
Heat 2 85 620 5 507 38 73 241 96 45 9
Final 85 620 507 96 5 38 9 241 73 648

1300 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
GR 631 668 246 64 537 66 314 60 157 153
Heat 1 314 631 668 546 246 41 64 60 66 157
Heat 2 668 546 246 870 41 537 314 157 66 176

Prostock Basics

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
SC 488 4 285 357 100 7 765 246 325 700
Heat 1 285 99 36 765 357 717 488 700 7 4
Heat 2 688 357 700 4 717 99 410 7 56 765