Saturday 2019

The stock car meeting at the Cowdenbeath Racewall started off in cool but windy conditions on Saturday night but by the end of the night a heavy drizzle was making life difficult for the drivers.

The first Scottish National Hot Rod World Champion Robert McDonald was given a lap of honour and received a warm welcome from the fans. Making a surprise visit to the Racewall was Billy Smith using his father Diggy’s World winning Saloon.

It was a night where a couple of drivers saw hat tricks disappear with Ian Donaldson having to retire whilst in the lead during the final whilst Formula II driver Steven Burgoyne lost the final after spinning on the last bend. Ministox driver Robbie Armit saw his chances of a hat trick disappear when he was sent spinning during the opening laps of the final.

The Ministox drivers were in great form with no shortage of action and one of the closest wins during the final when Mitch Gold pipped Ryan Borthwick on the line.

The Formula II drivers enjoyed a good night’s racing with Colin Stewart down from Crimond whilst Liam Rennie and Euan Millar had repaired their cars after big shunts at Buxton.

The opening heat saw Steven Burgoyne go though win getting ahead of long time leader Garry Sime during the closing stages whilst Kieran Howie was third. Sime again led during the early stages of heart two but when Millar broke a half shaft and spun the race was suspended. Not long after the restart Burgoyne forced his way ahead of Sime before going through to win from Dennis Middler and Stevie Forster.

Stewart was the first to show when the final started with Howie in close order but Sime was soon reeling them in. However Millar somehow managed to break another half shaft and spun, suspending the race. The field lined up behind Sime and once they set off Burgoyne dived inside Sime to lead, Sime slowed to retire with Adam Blacklock leading the chase after Burgoyne although Foster was not that far adrift. Middler was making up ground and he soon appeared in fourth spot.

On the last lap Burgoyne spun on the turnstile bend allowing Blacklock through to win with Forster a close second and Burgoyne recovering to finish in third.

It was wet when the Grand National started with Craig Reid and Peter Watt spinning in unison going down the straight. Middler drove away from the field to pick up his first win of the night where he led home Burgoyne and Forster.

Amongst those in action in the Saloons were Gary Scollon and Zak Gilmour who was using the ex-Allard car whilst Billy Smith had headed to the Racewall to race.

The opening heat was led from start to finish by white grader Holly Glen although at the end she was just ahead of a fast closing Stevie Honeyman and Ian McLaughlin. H. Glen got heat two underway and whilst she soon had a decent lead it began to dwindle when S. Honeyman began to charge. In the end S. Honeyman went on to win from McLaughlin and David Hughes.

It was raining heavily when the Saloon Final started with H. Glen making a good start, running ahead of Alisdair Smith but when the Hughes car shed a wheel the race was suspended and the field lined up behind H. Glen who then retired with S. Honeyman taking over the lead. Ross Watters was soon making up ground and he forced his way ahead of S. Honeyman who soon fell into the clutched of Barry Russell and B. Smith. These three raced hard for a few laps before Russell got out of shape and spun although he restarted in fourth.

Watters then reeled off the remaining laps to win from S. Honeyman and B. Smith.

The National Hot Rod drivers were racing in a World Championship qualifying round with the World Champion in action.

Ian Donaldson took his car to an easy opening heat win from Robert McDonald and John Sibbald. In heat two Donaldson was again the early leader but the race was suspended towards the end when James Mooney had his throttle jam open and he crashed heavily. The field lined up behind Donaldson who made a good restart to go through to win from Sibbald and McDonald.

The final was for the Lawrence Inglis Memorial Cup with Donaldson leading McDonald off the line although Sibbald was inside McDonald as they entered the top bend. On lap two Donaldson slowed to retire handing the lead to McDonald. Although McDonald was leading Sibbald kept him honest and hounded his all the way to the finish line with Roy Anderson in third. The drivers were presented with their trophies by Touring car driver Matt Simpson.

There was a very healthy turn out of Ministox drivers including newcomers Ross McLaughlin, Bailey Millar and Andrew Scott, the Maver sisters Emma and Melissa were down from Crimond whilst Aaron Richards was an English visitor.

The first race was the Dash for the Tyre which was open to drivers who had raced funds for the Ministox Disco.

In an exciting race Declan Honeyman came through to win from Mitchell Gold and Richards. Heat one saw Armit hold off Honeyman and Richards in what was a close finish with Armit spinning across the finish line. Heat two saw Armit again come out on top where he led home Mika Millar and Taylor Borthwick.

The final was for the Scrutineers Trophy but the drizzle was blowing across the track by now. Mirran Adams led the field away with Hannah Borthwick ahead by the end of the lap. The race had to be suspended after Charlie Hardie was sent spinning and then hit by another car. On the restart Lauren Ford led but she was elbowed wide as Ryan Borthwick took over at the lead and running as close to the wall as possible and was easing away from the field. Jay Paterson moved into second but soon after lost the place to Gold. Once in second Gold began to eat into the lead that Borthwick had built up and over the closing stages the drivers were running nose to tail. Going into the last bend Gold was alongside and on the run up to the finish just got there before Borthwick by four thousandths of a second.

Honeyman ended up in third but there were extra prizes for McLaughlin, Ford and Millar.

The Micro F2 drivers appeared in their numbers with Ollie Sime making his debut.

Heat one saw Lennon Cuthill go through for a comfortable win over David Philp Jnr and Cole Ramsay. The second heat had to be suspended after a big shunt which left the cars of Philp Jnr, Zara Hutchinson, James Russell, Connor St. Aubyn and Isla Chisholm locked together. In the end Cuthill was declared the winner from Mark Arthur and Mason Howe. Oliver Heron won heat three from Cuthill and Howe.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 674 480 679 41 17 621 280 850 629 652
Heat 2 674 41 652 852 480 191 250 280 256 679
Final 852 652 674 41 621 250 17 280 679 217
GN 41 674 652 191 250 621 0 0 0 0

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 8 607 684 670 85 600 57 107 161 38
Heat 2 607 684 57 8 73 600 85 161 38 670
Final 670 607 161 600 684 38 122 73 85 55


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
DFT 607 199 210 629 178 647 684 612 645 688
Heat 1 684 607 210 21 621 604 629 645 648 688
Heat 2 684 621 629 607 210 199 648 604 612 165
Final 199 604 607 612 172 210 629 178 688 165

National Hot Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 700 17 629 71 77 36 34 142 0 0
Heat 2 700 629 17 36 71 34 0 0 0 0
Final 17 629 36 77 34 0 0 0 0 0