Saturday 2016

If the spectators who turned up at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night expected to be watching a quieter than usual meeting after the exploits of the drivers over the previous weekend then they were in for a shock! There was an early shower in the afternoon but when the meeting started it was bright and sunny, the track was dry although it did get colder towards the end of the meeting.

  • The formula II drivers took centre stage as they contested a World Championship qualifying round which brought Aaran Vaight, Daz Seneschall. Liam Bentham and Martin Ford north as they looked to improve their chances of getting a place on one of the semi-final grids. Garry Sime was back in action after being on holiday last week but missing was the new Scottish Champion Dennis Middler.
  • In the 1300cc saloons Fraser Anderson and Ken Baird were having their first Racewall outings whilst Ormond Dearn was having his first run of the season in the lightning rods.
    Samantha Ross and Steven Armit were having their first National hot rod outing at the Racewall but missing from the ranks was Billy Bonnar.
  • The formula II drivers were in good form although missing were Stuart Anderson and Simon Cranson although his car was being driven by Gregor Turner whose own car was sidelined with a broken gearbox.
  • There were 13 drivers on the grid for the opening race of the night which was another in the white/yellow challenge series with Holly Glen just fending off Gregor Turner to win whilst Craig Reid third.
  • Heat one proved to be a hectic and when Seneschall slowed Blair Anderson had Paul Reid hooked on his back bumper and crashed heavily into the wall and as they cut across the track were collected by Robbie Dawson who spun and was then hit head on by Craig Wallace. The race was suspended with Turner leading the field away but he was overtaken by Chris Burgoyne and Gordon Moodie and whilst it looked as if Turner would collect third he had a half shaft break which allowed Ford to take the place. Heat two was somewhat quieter with Moodie going through to win from Burgoyne and John Hogg.
  • The grid for the final was a drawn one and saw Glen the early leader with Daniel Scrimgeour moving into second but Brian Hogg Jnr was edged wide and dropped down the order. On lap five Scrimgeour moved into the lead but already Burgoyne was reeling him in and was ahead on lap seven. A couple of laps later Moodie took over second spot whilst Kieran Howie went wide and ended up against the wall, Garry Sime slowed to retire with Scrimgeour having to give best to Dawson but then had Ford in close order.
    Burgoyne reeled in the remainder of the laps to win from Moodie and J. Hogg.
  • Moodie then won the Grand National but Burgoyne benefited from a race suspension to collect second place with Dawson in third.
  • The National Hot rod drivers were contesting another of their World Championship qualifying rounds and on a dry track produced some really close and exciting racing. Graeme Callender won the first heat from Ian Donaldson and Ian McGuigan. Callender then picked up his second win of the night when he again led home Donaldson and McGuigan. During the final there was some close and fast dicing and whilst Callender was the early leader he soon came under pressure from Donaldson with McGuigan not that far adrift. Towards the closing stages Donaldson managed to get his nose alongside Callender but just couldn’t force his way through leaving Callender to make it three wins on the trot with McGuigan again third.
  • There were two new faces in the 1300cc saloons whose numbers are slowly beginning to increase with the promise of a few others building cars. Lee Wilson won the opening heat from Callum Farrance and Fraser Anderson. In heat two an oil slick caused havoc with three cars having to retire but this time it was Darren Rae who went through to win from Anderson and Graham Swan. There were a few hefty pushes during the final but in the end Anderson went on to win comfortably from Brian Allan and Swan.
  • There was some close and fast racing in the lightning rods with Chrissy Dearn Jnr go through to win heat one from Mark Somerville and Ormond Dearn. In heat two Somerville won from O. Dearn and Farrell.
    Dearn Jnr then won the final from Somerville and Farrell.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
W&Y 321 391 217 850 19 285 30 376 679 852
Heat 1 647 7 19 480 92 321 30 236 488 217
Heat 2 7 647 92 19 854 236 16 480 652 30
Final 647 7 92 16 236 19 30 854 488 652
GN 7 647 854 16 321 184 652 236 391 852

Lightning Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 878 907 877 832 8 815 0 0 0 0
Heat 2 907 877 8 815 0 0 0 0 0 0
Final 878 907 8 815 0 0 0 0 0 0

National Hot Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 871 700 77 36 94 648 0 0 0 0
Heat 2 871 700 77 36 648 94 0 0 0 0
Final 871 700 77 36 648 94 0 0 0 0

1300 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 246 283 661 638 68 76 73 112 211 0
Heat 2 638 661 76 112 68 0 0 0 0 0
Final 661 68 76 246 0 0 0 0 0 0