Saturday 2016

Probably the weather surprised everyone on Saturday night and instead of rain it was dry at the Cowdenbeath Racewall. However the track was wet and greasy causing the drivers many problems as they drove to the edge of the track to find grip.

The 2 litre bangers Scottish Championship proved the fans with a lot of excitement as car after car crashed into stricken cars on the pit bend until there was only room for one car to get through the gap. The Destruction Derby saw some pretty hectic hits with car after car crashing out.

The new Scottish saloon champion Paul Honeyman appeared with the Saltire on his roof but struggled a bit with grip and didn’t make it into the top three in any of his races.

Brian Allan became the first winner of the 1300cc saloon Turner Trophy although double heat winner Fraser Anderson looked to be on his way to a hat trick of wins only to be sent spinning.

There was a good turn out of formula II drivers with David Sinclair up from the North east of England.
Their first race of the night was the final of the white/yellow challenge series with Brian Hogg going straight into the lead from Craig Reid whilst Gregor Turner got out of shape after being clipped as he tried to go around the outside of the yellow graders. Hogg came under pressure from Ryan Farquhar and Alex Hamilton whilst Adam Blacklock spun, restarting at the rear of the field. Farquhar led for a couple of laps then lost out to Hamilton but he was there for a couple of laps before Sinclair took over and began to edge away. In the end Sinclair went on to win from Hamilton and Farquhar.

When the first heat started Robbie Dawson was half spun by Gordon Moodie with his car coming to rest sitting across the track but when a lap later Blacklock and Craig Reid tangled and ended up hitting the stationary cars of Garry Sime and suspending the race. Farquhar got the race restarted leading initially from Hogg but within a couple of laps Dennis Middler was through into second spot. However it took Middler until the closing stages of the race before he got ahead and through to win from Marc Fortune and Farquhar. Burgoyne was an early casualty when the second heat started with Farquhar leading the field away but was soon being closed down by Paul Reid. Fortune was going well adapting to the conditions slightly better than the others and he began to work his way through the field. At the half distance Farquhar was still ahead but only just from Fortune with Moodie a close third. With three to go Fortune finally dived inside and into the lead with Moodie following his every move whilst Dawson came charging through into third. Fortune went on to win from Moodie and Dawson.

When the final started Hogg was the early leader and he quickly pulled away from the field. Farquhar held second place until half distance when he lost out to Fortune and Dawson. Farquhar was spun on the turnstile bend as Fortune eased away to win from Dawson and white grader Hogg.

Hogg went on to win the Grand National where he led home Sinclair and Dawson with Fortune in seventh place.
Shane Davies was a welcome visitor in the 2 Litre National saloons no doubt looking for a bit extra practice for the forthcoming Superbowl.

The saloons opening heat was their white/yellow challenge series with Ryan Muirhead the early leader from Barry Glen and Jamie Connacher. Glen forced his way into the lead on lap two and began to ease away, Muirhead held on to second until the closing stages when he lost out to Willie Mitchell, Marc Honeyman and Graeme Anderson who were scrapping over second. In the end it was an easy win for Mitchell with Anderson in third spot.

The opening saloon heat was led away by Muirhead whilst Davies and Ross Watters tangled suspending the race. Muirhead led on the restart but towards the half distance was overtaken by Glen and James Letford. However it was the latter who forged his way into the lead going on to win from Luke Grief and Glen. However Letford was removed from the results handing the win to Grief, Glen and Ian McLaughlin. Heat two saw Kyle Irvine being spun as Grief made up a place. Glen took over the lead but was sent wide as Ian McLaughlin dived inside. Watters was on a charge and he began to close on the cars ahead slotting in behind McLaughlin. With only a couple of laps remaining Watters moved ahead before going through to win from McLaughlin and Mitchell.
Glen went straight into the lead when the final started from Jamie Connacher with Mitchell soon getting ahead of McLaughlin and into third. McLaughlin forced his way back into third whilst Connacher spun and then a lap later Davies and Derek Duff spun in unison on the pit bend. Glen came under pressure from McLaughlin with Glen running just ahead of Mitchell. Whilst McLaughlin was first home he was penalised for an infringement handing the win to Mitchell, Glen and Grief.

The 1300 saloons saw two more new faces in the ranks with Kevin Bruce and Ryan O’Shea making their debuts.
Bruce led the field away when heat one started with Mike Byres in second but Fraser Anderson had made a good start to the race and was finding more grip than the others. Cameron Milne spun and restarted at rear of the field. Anderson charged through into the lead before the half distance before going through to win from Bruce and Derek Campbell. In heat two Bruce was again the early leader before Byres bounced his car hard off the wall but soon had to retire. Aaron Hastie took over at the front of the pack but Anderson was making up places at regular intervals and just after the half distance took the lead. Once there he went on to win from Jeff Cosans and Brian Allan.

When the final started Bruce was the early leader but he was quickly overtaken by Hastie who began to open up a gap over the pack. Bruce was holding second but was slowly being caught by the pack led by Anderson. However as they entered the main straight Anderson was spun and it was Allan who took up the chase to the leaders. With five laps remaining Hastie had been caught and the next lap Allan was ahead going on to win from Cosans and a recovering Anderson.

The banger Scottish attracted quite a few drivers from Crimond and from the Barrow and Warton tracks.
James Dillon, from pole led the field away with Shaun Walsh an early casualty. Matty Younger was sent spinning but when Jonny Kerr was sent bouncing off the wall and into a marker tyre the race had to be suspended to allow him assistance out of his car. On the restart Mark Dalgarno moved into the lead whilst Dalton Steele, Mark Farquhar and Neil Naismith tangled on the pit bend. As the race progressed this pile up attracted other cars until there was only one line around the bend. Mark Morrison moved into the lead from James Dillon Jnr whilst Al Roshall spun. Morrison was maintaining a lead over Dillon Jnr whilst Dillon Snr clouted the cars on the pit bend on more than one occasion. In the end Morrison went through for an easy win over Dillon Jnr and Karl Hodgson.
Neil Naismith won the first of the Allcomers races with Morrison taking the second.

In the Destruction derby which followed car after car was wrecked as Alan Ellwood went through to win.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
W&Y 590 30 419 391 192 236 852 317 321 217
Heat 1 41 64 419 7 647 236 17 590 652 391
Heat 2 64 7 854 17 419 41 192 590 852 652
Final 64 854 192 590 7 41 16 17 236 0
GN 192 590 854 16 7 17 64 391 236 41

National Saloons

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
W&Y 38 96 229 648 45 0 0 0 0 0
Heat 1 219 38 684 648 715 96 85 229 507 158
Heat 2 670 684 96 626 219 158 602 507 661 57
Final 96 38 219 661 507 229 684 579 626 715

National Bangers

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
SC 209 752 212 466 499 0 0 0 0 0
AC1 880 216 266 152 209 0 0 0 0 0
AC2 209 752 366 266 212 466 0 0 0 0

1300 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 661 236 686 537 211 68 66 76 41 60
Heat 2 661 537 68 73 686 236 76 211 66 60
Final 68 537 661 73 236 686 76 211 246 0