Saturday 2017

Despite wet track conditions at the GMP Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night the classic hot rods were in good form with the fans delighted to see cars from an early era charging around the oval. The rain stopped prior to the start of the meeting but the track was wet and greasy and was to be later liberally covered in oil after a couple of saloons deposited their engine oil onto the track. Fifteen saloons set out at the start to their final but only 1 car finished after a few got caught out on the oil slicks and one was disqualified!

Paul Barron had a good night’s racing in his prostox going on to win both the heats as well as the final.
Declan Honeyman gave them all a run for their money in the ministox races and will soon be heading up the grades as a result.

The microf2 drivers were in good form with Jamie Dawson winning two races to Lewis Clark Burgoyne’s one.
The classic hot rods drivers were in good form despite the track being not condusive to non contact racing. T make matters worse when it did look as if there was a dry racing line there was an oil slick right around the track.
On the grid was an Anglia, a Chevette, a Talbot and Escorts, some painted in colours of well known drivers from the past but they looked and sounded good. Local driver

Trevor Harris pulled off the grid before the first heat started with Graham McCabe making the better of the starts from Keith Chesher but they were soon joined in a three way dice for the lead by Kenny Purdie. Chesher dropped back and it was left to McCabe to fend off Purdie and this he did until two laps from the end when Purdie managed to find the inside line. Once ahead he edged away to win from McCabe with Chesher holding onto third spot. Harris led the field away when heat two started but he lost the lead early on as McCabe swept through although he had Chesher in close order. Purdie had made another good start from the back of the grid and closed in on the leading group. Although Purdie moved into second spot he was thwarted on each attempt to get ahead of McCabe and in the end had to follow him across the line with Chesher again in third.

Harris led the cars away when the final started but this time Chesher made the better of the starts to lead McCabe away. Chesher caught Harris and moved into the lead but by now had a slight gap over McCabe. Purdie caught up with the leaders and was soon looking for a way ahead of McCabe. However he wasn’t able to do so and it was Chesher who collected the win from McCabe and Purdie.

There was a good turn out of 1300 saloons with Lisa Freebairn and Kev Baird making their debuts. Local drivers were
The opening heat saw Mike Byers go straight into the lead and it wasn’t the closing stages that Fraser Clark caught and passed him. Clark then pulled away to win from Byers and Kev. Baird. In heat two the drivers were greeted with a shower which made the track even more slippery. Byers led whilst Freebairn had s pin but when Mike Moye was in a shunt the race was stopped. Byers led the cars away on the restart but when Aaron Hastie was sent crashing into the wall the race was suspended. Byers led on the restart from Grant McGowan with the latter taking the lead the following lap but had Clark in close order. With three laps to run Clark moved through into the lead and on to win from McGowan and Ross Forrest.

The final saw Kenny Baird have to retire right away when a drive shaft popped out and it was Stu McCaig who led although he lost the lead to Kev Baird the following lap. Disaster was not that far away with Clark’s car depositing its oil all over the track resulting in the leader, Freebairn, Robbie Bruce and Robert Gold all coming to grief. McCabe led on the restart but soon lost out to Lee Wilson but within a couple of laps of him doing so McGowan retired in a cloud of smoke, Fraser Anderson spun and then Wilson’s car stopped with an electrical fault. Derek Campbell and Jeff Cosans were let to fight it out but when they clashed, Cosans was sent crashing into the wall. Campbell was first home but was disqualified with the win going to Cosans.

There was another good turn out of ministox drivers. Danny Whyte went through to win the opening heat although it wasn’t until the closing stages of the race that he caught and passed Declan Honeyman, who ended up in second with Teri Linden in third spot. Heat two saw Honeyman lead the race from start to finish and he ended up ahead of Whyte and Gary Paterson at the line. When the final started Honeyman was away like a scalded cat and quickly built up a sizeable lead. Reece Din held second but then lost out to Paterson and Whyte. Charlie Folan was leading the star drivers chase to the leaders but he clipped the wall and retired as did Paterson. Linden moved into second, getting ahead of Whyte with Burgoyne making up a lot of ground as the laps dwindled. However at the close Honeyman was still ahead and picked up his second win of the night crossing the line ahead of Linden and Whyte.

There was a good turn out of prostox drivers and they served up some action packed races with a three car shunt suspending the final. Local Daniel Kennedy led the opening heat until half distance when John Jackson took over,. However he was sent wide on the last lap as Paul Barron went through to win from Jackson and Ian Christie. Heat two was suspended after Scott Gordon crashed out and whilst Robert Hamilton led he lost out to Jackson. During the closing stages Barron took over at the front of the pack before going through to win from Ryan O’Shea and Jason McAlpine. Kennedy led the final for most of the race but when three cars shunted the race was suspended and the lead he had built up disappeared. Kennedy led the field away but was shunted into the wall as Barron went on to win from McAlpine and John Mason.

There was another good turn out of microf2 drivers The first heat was wet and the surface caught out quite a few drivers which saw a couple of cars spin out. However Jamie Dawson took to the outside line and he went on to win from Ross McLaughlin and Lewis walker. Lewis Clark Burgoyne joined the rid for heat two having missed the opening heat and whilst he chased hard he had to settle for the runners up spot with McLaughlin third. Heat three was suspended after a shunt on the main straight and not long after the race restarted than Dawson was through into the lead but being chased by Clark Burgoyne. However there was to be no hat trick with Clark Burgoyne catching then passing Dawson as he went through to record his first win of the night with McLaughlin again in third.


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 126 607 623 622 546 674 172 604 199 687
Heat 2 607 126 622 674 604 623 546 101 100 199
Final 607 623 126 674 172 100 101 687 199 641


Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 755 122 170 39 46 760 53 153 518 0
Heat 2 755 53 672 760 68 39 518 153 170 0
Final 755 672 760 45 53 153 33 0 0 0

1300 Stock Cars

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 668 41 112 686 537 400 246 157 113 126
Heat 2 668 211 400 66 60 246 537 686 661 0
Final 686 537 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Micro F2s

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 165 828 51 187 5 68 253 151 858 441
Heat 2 165 647 828 151 233 187 68 50 858 239
Final 647 165 828 51 239 68 5 50 253 858

Classic Hot Rods

Heat 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Heat 1 17 247 162 222 3 50 0 0 0 0
Heat 2 247 17 162 222 12 3 50 0 0 0
Final 162 247 17 222 12 3 50 0 0 0